“I don’t care about looks when the person is good at heart.” This statement does not hold much weight in today’s online dating world, where looks, pickup lines, and Tinder icebreakers hold the key to a romantic connection. A study by Antonio Olivera-La Rosa from the Department of Psychology and Social Sciences, Colombia, shows that most of the users swipe right based on the other person’s appearance. This is, to be honest, quite justified with the Tinder user interface. I mean how are you supposed to look at people’s hearts right through their profiles?
Even if you nail your dating profile and get tons of matches, the question of what next may stare you in the face. After all, starting a conversation with a stranger can be just as daunting as deciding whom to swipe right on based on a virtual profile, if not more.
Not everybody is good at striking up a conversation and keeping it flowing can be even more arduous. So, a lot of users search for icebreakers online.
If you are on Tinder and do not know how to initiate a conversation with the people you match with, fret not. We’re here to help with some of the best icebreakers for Tinder. Good Tinder icebreakers, funny Tinder icebreakers, cheeky icebreakers for Tinder, creative conversation starters – you name it, and we’ve got it.
When To Use Ice-Breakers For Tinder?
According to a study, most users spend at least 12 hours a week finding a potential partner on dating websites. Yes, that’s true. That’s how much our generation yearns to have someone they can vibe with. Well, well! We cannot blame them given how fulfilling it can be to have a significant other you have a wholesome connection with.
However, the road from matching with someone to building that connection is rarely easy or straightforward. You could be left riddled with texting anxiety, especially on getting swiped right on dating apps. The harder you think of all the interesting ways to start the conversation, the tougher it can seem to come up with something interactive and flirty. In situations like this, Tinder icebreakers can help conversations lead somewhere.
- The technique of breaking the ice is usually used when two are trying to get to know each other
- It is also used when people are trying to find common ground
- A lot of times, a normal ‘hey’ seems too bland, and that is when good Tinder icebreakers can come to your rescue
Your first swipe might have taught you how challenging it can be to get that first few messages right. You can go with some cheesy lines but that’s not necessarily the best idea when you are talking for the first time. Instead, you can start with the funny icebreakers because humor is certainly the key. Later on, bring some interesting questions into the conversation to make it look like you are not just all about humor.
Where humor can help you make that favorable first impression whether on a first date or that first conversation on a dating app, do not try too hard to be funny. I mean, you would not want the other person to think you are desperate. Online dating can be quite tricky and you never know what the other person is thinking. It might be challenging to comprehend a person’s emotional flow, especially over initial online communication. So make an effort to speak subtly.
Related Reading: Tinder Etiquette: 25 Dos And Don’ts When Dating On Tinder
69 Tinder Icebreakers That Are Sure To Yield A Response
Tinder icebreakers can save you a lot of time in thinking about the best way to start the conversation. You can lead with a humorous Tinder opener and compliment your Tinder match to build a rapport with them. The best icebreakers for Tinder are those that are bound to yield a response from your match.
A few interesting questions can also do wonders. I mean, let’s be honest, don’t we love it when someone shows interest in us and asks questions? Here, we are going to tell you about some of the best Tinder icebreakers that are sure to get a conversation rolling.
1. Use some good openers
Starting the conversation can be a little difficult. This is the part where we get most confused about how to start. Well then, here are some conversation starters that can help:
1. Hello there! What brings you here?
2. What do you like to do in your free time?
3. Are you a tea or a coffee person?
4. What do you prefer – cats or dogs?
5. How would you rate me on a scale of 1-10?
6. What made you swipe right on my profile?
7. How do you usually initiate a conversation?
8. What attracts you most to a person – looks or personality?
9. What’s your idea of an ideal partner?
10. Would you rather go out or stay home?
2. Use humor
Your conversation can go in a terrific direction if you pepper it with some humor. You might be surprised to learn that girls are frequently drawn to funny men rather than attractive men. In Sexual Selection and Humor in Courtship, Jeffrey Hall, Ph.D., associate professor of communication studies at the University of Kansas, concluded that when strangers meet, the more times a man tries to be funny and the more times a woman laughs at these attempts, the more likely the woman is interested in dating.
Catching your Tinder match off-guard using humor can give you an advantage on your first date, but you need to know how to not have a dry sense of humor. Speaking of humor, the list below includes some excellent pickup lines and funny Tinder icebreakers that you can use as needed in your interactions with your matches:
11. What do you call a factory that makes okay products? A satisfactory
12. You must be a banana because you make me go bananas!
13. Are you a broom? ‘Cause you just swept me off my feet
14. Is your name Starbucks? Because I like you a latte
15. Life without you would be like a broken pencil – pointless
16. Are you a campfire? ‘Cause you are hot and I want to be near you
17. Is your last name Campbell’s Soup? ‘Cause you’re Mmmm, Mmmm Good
18. If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put my U and I together
19. Are you a fortune cookie? ‘Cause you make me feel lucky
20. Are you a dictionary? ‘Cause you add meaning to my life
Related Reading: 37 Funny Tinder Questions Your Matches Will Love
3. Get creative
Pickup lines are fantastic if you don’t come up with something strange that makes your Tinder match uncomfortable. That is the last thing you would want, I assure you. In light of this, you should use creativity when writing your messages. Make sure not to seem overly cheesy, unless they are cheesy too. With the aid of some of the best Tinder icebreakers, you can take the conversation forward.
21. Hey, do you know karate? Cause your smile gives me a kick
22. Hey, are you busy? Can you please spare me a few minutes so that I can hit on you?
23. If I were to ask you out on a date, would your answer be the same as the answer to this question?
24. You don’t know how many times I had to swipe left to find you
25. Are you French? Because ma-damn, you’re fine
26. Hey! Sorry, I guess I deleted your last message. What did you say?
27. Do you have any raisins? How about a date?
28. Can I follow you home? My parents always told me to follow my dreams
29. Do you know how much a polar bear weighs? Enough to break the ice
30. Are you French? Because Eiffel for you.
Related Reading: 50 Corny Pick Up Lines To Take Your Dating Game Up A Notch
4. Compliment them
People may underplay the effect of compliments, but almost everyone secretly loves them. Try to compliment your Tinder match; they will certainly appreciate it. Be mindful that too many compliments could make you seem disingenuous. Here are some tips on how to use compliments the right way.
31. Are you related to Jean-Claude Van Damme? Because Jean-Claude Van Damme you’re sexy!
32. Did your license get suspended for driving all these guys crazy?
33. Did you just come out of the oven? Because you’re hot
34. I was blinded by your beauty; I’m going to need your name and phone number for insurance purposes
35. Are you Harry Potter? ‘Cause you’re casting a spell on me
36. Something’s wrong with my eyes because I can’t take them off you
37. Do you know CPR? Because you are taking my breath away!
38. You’re so pretty that I just forgot my pickup line
39. I must be in a museum because you truly are a work of art
40. Are you from Tennessee? Because you’re the only 10 I see!
5. Ask their opinions
Everybody likes to be heard and express their opinions and beliefs. If the conversation dies and you actually want to keep it going for a long time, ask their opinions on things! It could be anything, any topic that you might want to talk about. Here’s how you can do that.
41. What’s one thing that would make you want to wake up every day?
42. What is an ideal day for you?
43. How did your last Tinder date go?
44. What is your opinion about online dating?
45. What are your thoughts on global warming?
46. If you could be anyone for one day, who would you be?
47. Would you rather be the most intelligent person in the world or the most beautiful?
48. Do you prefer texting or calling?
49. What trait in a guy is the biggest turn-off for you?
50. What is your comfort food?
Related Reading: 85 Get To Know Me Questions To Connect – New 2022 List
6. Play a little game
If you’re running low on conversation topics, you can mix things up by playing a classic game – truth or dare, for example. C’mon! It’s not too bad, at least not worse than someone ghosting you because you’re boring, right? These are the questions you can ask them to make it better.
51. If I kissed you, would you kiss me back?
52. What’s one thing that makes you the most uncomfortable?
53. Tell me something you don’t want me to know
54. Do you have any regrets about your life choices?
55. What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done, or that someone has done for you?
56. What is the one you are most passionate about?
57. Tell me one misconception people have about you
58. If someone annoys or irritates you, how do you treat them?
59. What kind of music do you love listening to all time?
60. What is the most valuable thing for you in a friendship?
7. Use their profile to think of conversation topics
Nothing is more attractive than a person who can recall specifics. Try to pick up on minor things in their dating profile and bring them up in conversation; this will encourage them to chat with you more. Here are some examples:
61. Where is the second picture in your profile from?
62. (Color) suits you really well
63. Your shoes (or anything) in the last post looked amazing. Where’d you get that from?
64. Are you a (name) fan? I assumed from your bio
65. Your name is quite unique. What does it mean?
66. Is it your best friend in the third picture on your profile?
67. Your bio is witty. Made me wanna rethink my own
68. That’s a really great background in your fourth post
69. How did you like (place’s name)? I saw you’ve been there
Related Reading: How To Respond To Pick-Up Lines On Tinder – 11 Tips
A study by Juan Ramón Barrada and Ángel Castro published in the National Library of Medicine shows that around 40% of people are dependent on dating apps to get a partner. A sizable majority of them turn to the internet to look for Tinder icebreakers and other online dating tips to get the ball rolling. If you’re one of them, we’ve got your back. While building a deep, meaningful connection with someone you meet online is a challenge in a league of its own, rest assured these icebreakers are sure to get your conversation flowing. That’s the very first step in the quest of finding a partner online. Let us know which ones worked the best for you.